Date: May 29, 2013
Title: Applying for Social Security Disability Benefits
Gathering Information is the Hard Part!
Planning to apply for Social Security Disability (SSDI) benefits online? Here's the good news: the process is relatively simple. The Social Security Administration's (SSA) web site is well designed and easy to navigate. Anyone with minimal web experience should have no trouble:
These five steps should take you no more than 30 seconds, and you are on your way!
Sort of. Here's the bad news. SSA will work hard to make a fair decision on your claim, based on all the evidence available. But YOU must provide much of that evidence. While submitting your claim online, you will enter dozens of pieces of information.
Take a Tip! Make your claim submittal as quick and easy as possible. Gather your information first, and then apply for benefits.
Gather this information:
Even with everything on hand, set aside at least two hours to complete your online application. And good luck!
- Military Service discharge information (Form DD 214) for all periods of active duty.
- W-2 Form (or your IRS 1040 and Schedules C and SE if self-employed) from last year.
- Social Security Number(s) for your spouse and minor children.
- Checking or savings account number and bank routing number, if you want Direct Deposit for your benefit checks.
- Name, address and phone number of someone SSA can contact who knows about your medical conditions and can help with your claim.
- Names, addresses, phone numbers, patient ID numbers, and dates of treatment for all doctors, hospitals, and clinics. You may want to refer to any Medical Records you have.
- Names of medicines you are taking and who prescribed them. You may want to have your medicine bottles available. Be prepared to list the condition treated by the medicine and side effects, if any.
- Names and dates of any medical tests, and who sent you for them.
- Types of jobs and dates you worked for your last 5 jobs.
- Information about any insurance or workers' compensation claims you filed, such as claim number and name, address and phone number of insurance company.